There are many different kinds of weapons law violations in Texas, some of which can happen to otherwise law-abiding citizens. Penny Wymyczak White is experienced in defending clients who are charged with misdemeanor or felony weapons charges.
Examples of weapons charges include:
- Carrying a handgun without a concealed handgun license.
- Possession of an illegal weapon, such as switchblade or other illegal knife, brass knuckles, clubs, explosives, pipe bombs, and incendiary devices.
- Carrying a handgun into an airport.
- Carrying a gun into a bar or into a restaurant that served alcohol.
- Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
The immediate concerns of the possibility of jail or prison time are closely followed by the collateral consequences of a possible permanent criminal record. If you have been charged with a weapons offense, you should seek a lawyer’s help as soon as possible to assess the strength of the state’s case against you. The strength of that case may depend whether the police followed proper procedures to discover and seize the weapon.
Did the police follow proper procedures?
The police need proper reasons to stop and search your car or person.
If the search and seizure violated your constitutional rights, your attorney can ask the court to review the actions of police. If the judge agrees that the search and seizure were illegal, the evidence will be excluded and the case will likely be dismissed. You can also appeal.
The sooner you contact a lawyer, the sooner your lawyer can review the strength of the state’s case and prepare you a defense.
Call Penny Wymyczak-White 281-733-0264